Solved: Can’t Access My Recovery Partition & I Don’t Have Any Recovery CD’s!

Computers & Technology, Troubleshooting 24 561
Bootmgr

Today I was fixing up a laptop for a friend. It was an Acer Aspire 6930 running Windows Vista Home Premium (x86), it appeared that the MBR (Master Boot Record) needed repairing. So using the Vista Recovery CD I was able to use the BOOTREC /FIXMBR and BOOTREC /FIXBOOT commands. Unfortunately that didn’t solve my problem and I needed to access the laptop’s recovery partition, which you would normally get to by holding Alt and pressing F11 during boot up (other laptops have similar key combinations) but I think because I had mucked around with the boot record that the Alt + F11 shortcut was no longer functioning.

By the way, if you are looking for Windows 7 (x86 & x64) & Windows Vista (x86 & x64) Recovery CD’s you can download them from a torrent here: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6313721/Windows_7_and_Windows_Vista_Recovery_Discs_%5Bx86_amp_x64%5D_BY_KAILASH (These are the disks I used for this job and they worked fine, no viruses).

To cut a long story short, the EISA recovery partition was still on the hard drive but could not be accessed! To make matters worse I didn’t have the recovery DVDs for the laptop. Thankfully, after hours of Googling and a lot of swearing and frustration I came across a method in an article. This method should be useful for ALL machines with recovery partitions…

What I needed to do was:

• Boot up using the Windows Vista Recovery CD.
  • Click on ‘Command Prompt’.
  • In the command prompt type ‘DISKPART’.
  • Type ‘LIST DISK’ this will display a list of hard disks installed on the machine.
  • Type ‘SELECT DISK n‘ (In this case it was disk 0).
  • Type ‘LIST PARTITION’ and take note of the partition you wish you make active, in most cases the first partition in the list will be your recovery partition.
  • Type ‘SELECT PARTITION n‘ (Where ‘n’ is the number representing the recovery partition identified from the previous step, in my case it was partition 1).
  • Change the partition to NTFS by typing ‘SET ID=27 OVERRIDE’.
  • Make the partition active by typing ‘ACTIVE’.
  • Reboot your machine from the hard drive and the recovery partition should start up!

If that method doesn’t work you can find the original article which has some other things you can try here: http://aspiregemstone.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-activate-acer-hidden-partition.html

About the author /

Ben

Related Posts

24 Comments

1. folio168 February 16, 2012 at 6:56 pm -

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This advice was fantastic as I like many have a samsung machine with a recovery partition which I could not access due to their malfunctioning recovery software!!! Saved me so much time and money :)

2. Jay May 21, 2012 at 4:04 am -

TI followed this ti the letter and now I get BOOTMGR is Missing … any advice please ?

3. Santino Montana July 31, 2012 at 8:32 am -

Thank you Man. I used this on a e-Machine T5062 and it worked.. I preesed the ALT-F10 or F11 and it worked the first try. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

4. Jul974 August 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm -

Thanks a lot. It’s amazing how it can be so simple when people like your share this kind ok knowldege !!!! Great !

5. Jul974 August 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm -

This worked on Windows 7 too. For ACER systems , press ALT+F10 just after enableing “Disk To Disk recovery” in Bios (F2).

6. Manuel August 30, 2012 at 3:09 am -

You are the man! Your solution worked like a charm. Thank you thank you thank you…

7. David September 1, 2012 at 9:43 pm -

Thank you, Thank you been banging my head against a brick wall with this and your solution worked a charm.

8. brian September 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm -

Still works! My dell had a 15 GB partition I had to use but all my por….data is back!

9. TBoy September 25, 2012 at 4:52 am -

Thanks for this post!!
    I have been battling with a system all weekend for a friend and this saved me the trouble of having to order new install disks!!
    Cheers!

10. AdonAdonim October 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm -

Simply amazing. Looking for hours for something, even went fishing using tools I have a decent grasp on and still came up short. Thanks!

11. Bilal Athar November 1, 2012 at 3:54 am -

Dude you saved my laptop. Thank you so much! :)

12. lucy December 3, 2012 at 2:52 pm -

Finally, some action! HOWEVER, now when windows boots from the recovery I a prompted to select “other user” and I have no user name or password for this log in. When my computer was functioning normally before the recovery I used no passwords. Any ideas?

13. Aaron Robinson December 5, 2012 at 8:42 am -

Lucy, I’ve been having this same “other user” problem and I haven’t even tried this here solution quite yet. I’ve had a rootkit on my computer which I’m thinking is part of this issuee for me in particular. So now I’m not so sure that this Active Partitioning thingy will be working for me. :-(

14. Rich January 24, 2013 at 4:45 am -

I followed the above steps on a Dell M1510. Unfortunately I picked the wrong partition and now i am stuck. Every time I boot it goes straight tot the Dell Diagnostics. That is is only place I can go since it does not boot the OS (7). How can I change this or get a CMD prompt?

15. Ben February 10, 2013 at 2:23 am -

Rich,

You should be able to enter your BIOS settings at start up and change the boot order so that the computer boots from the CD drive. You should then be able to boot from a Windows install CD and follow the process again but select the correct partition.

Ben

16. lahiru February 15, 2013 at 10:19 am -

great as anything, love you man got me out of gail. thank you

17. Justin February 18, 2013 at 2:57 pm -

I have an Acer Aspire 3000. I can’t access the recovery partition. I do the whole alt+f10 until I get “beep beep x999999999″. Really annoying. I don’t have a recovery disk and my d2d is enabled. I’ve tried hitting f8, and alt+11. Nothing but a thousand beeps…. Can someone please help me???

18. Skywalker April 5, 2013 at 11:46 pm -

You have no idea how much you’ve helped. I thought I would have to buy the recovery disks or worse send it for costly repairs. Thank you for posting this you beauty!

19. Osho.S April 14, 2013 at 11:30 pm -

Thanks a lot, it worked, Really good. But after d recovery, Ican’t find the recovery drive anymore when I click on “my computer”. Any ideas?

20. Jessika May 3, 2013 at 1:39 pm -

I have to be an endangered species in the wild of Northern region of Australia.

You will only have to check browsing history on
    one computer. Citigroup Inc, the Consumer
    Association of Singapore CASE, the Dubai quando i
    bambini fanno oh Direct Selling Festival, and the
    quality of your show. 12 scRnd 12: Sc in next sc, decrease 1 sc over next
    2 sc repeat around.

21. Robin August 1, 2013 at 1:46 am -

Thanku thanks a lot.love this websites and its admins/users.i got to a colourful screen and it said windows is setting ur pc and waited for 2 hours and nothing happened.i did reboot and now its corrupted and i tried restarting its says error…..lATER I DID THE STEPS AGAIN AND IT RESTORED.THANK GOD.U SAVED ME.AND I PROMISE I WILL NEVER UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 8 IN MY LIFE.I HAVE SOLVE MILLIONS PROBLEMS.NOW I AM HAPPY.THX A LOT

22. Robin August 1, 2013 at 1:48 am -

I WILL VISIT THIS WEBSITE AGAIN.BYE FOR NOW

23. Robin August 1, 2013 at 1:49 am -

IS THERE A DONATE BUTTON.I COULD JUST DONATE $200 DOLLARS PER MONTH

24. Ben February 4, 2014 at 4:33 pm -

Hi Robin,
    You can get in contact with me via e-mail. ben@wizzits.com.au.

Ben